Thursday, February 7, 2008

Freeheld

Debby sent me a link to a movie she watched at work today (I can't believe she gets paid) for a movie that is nominated for the Best Documentary - Short Subject Oscar this year. I guess one of her co-workers made the film, or is banging the director or something. Anyway, the film is called Freeheld, and from what I can tell its about a terminally ill cancer patent who is a lesbian police officer trying to secure her pension benefits for her partner. I don't think thats the actual tag line because its too long, but if I was in charge of marketing I'd have it be something like that.

Anyway, I watch the trailer, click on a few links, and find myself at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences events page for Washington DC, which I didn't know existed. There is an event being held, screening this film and all others up in the Documentary Short Subject category, along with the Documentary Feature, Live Action Short Film, and Animated Short Film categories. The event is presented by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in partnership with The Charles Guggenheim Center for the Documentary Film and the Foundation for the National Archives, at the William G. McGowan Theater. The page even looks fancy. Anyway, I'm gonna go, and its going to count as one of my Lenten activities, I just have to make sure I get in the right line to get tickets (Free tickets will be distributed (at the Special Events entrance on Constitution Avenue) beginning 60 minutes prior to start time). Dates for everything below.

Documentary Feature Nominees
Wednesday, February 20, 7 p.m.
Thursday, February 21, 7 p.m.
Friday, February 22, 7 p.m.
Saturday, February 23, 7 p.m.
Sunday, February 24, 4 p.m.

Live Action Short Film Nominees
Saturday, February 23, noon

Animated Short Film Nominees
Saturday, February 23, 3:30 p.m.

Documentary Short Subject Nominees
Sunday, February 24, noon

No comments: